Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Gabi's Candy Land cake

For Gabi's third birthday, we had a Candy Land party. To take some of the stress off of me, I ordered a plain (no frosting) marble cake from the Walmart bakery. I decorated it myself, which was time consuming but a lot of fun. Since Gabi's birthday is after Halloween, I was able to get a lot of candy very cheap. I tried to make a cake as close as possible to the game board. I'm sure most people can do a much better job than I did, but the cake was a hit, none the less, among kids AND adults.










On this part, I used an older version of the game where "Queen Frostine" (who has now been demoted to princess) ice skated on the ice cream sea. So I added some blue food color to white frosting, then dropped colored marshmallows to hopefully look like scoops of ice cream.
I used tropical flavored Starbursts as the game spaces. I made gingerbread cookies for the party also (one of the activities was for the kids to decorate their own ginger bread boy or girl) so I hand cut a tree shape out of some leftover dough. From a newer version of the game, Plumpy is replaced by the gingerbread tree and used purple skittles for the plumbs or whatever grows on the tree. I also used Skittles and a rainbow fruit rollup for the rainbow pass. The peppermint forest is pretty self explanatory. I used different sized spicedrops for gumdrop mountains and gumdrop pass.
On a newer version, licorice castle is replaced by licorice forest. So I took some string licorice and peeled pieces down about halfway, making trees out of them.
Next is peanut acres (formerly Peanut brittle house). I just used bite size Nutter Butters.
Lollipop woods was very easy with various lollipops.
Then it's the Ice Cream Sea which is now snow flake lake.
Molasses Swamp is now Chocolate Swamp. I used Sugar Daddys for the plants or whatever grows out of the swamp. I make Gloppy by stacking a couple bite sized Reeses cups and covering it with chocolate frosting.
The Candy Castle was down with a colored ice cream cone, Necco wafers, and candy from different parts of the game.
Last but not least, I made the older version game pieces (gingerbread men) out of colored fondant, and a toothpick to hold it in the cake.
Gabi loved her cake and everyone had a blast!
(Not pictured)
When people first arrived, they each got a bag that they decorated with gingerbread house stickers that I ordered from Oriental Trading Co. They also got gingerbread boys and girls to decorate with real icing. Since Gabi was still too young for party games, these took place of the games (otherwise I would have made a lifesize version of the game for people to play). We had Candy Land, the movie, playing on the TV. Everyone got some cool candy plus candy from a pinata. All the kids were on a massive sugar high when they left. My intent was to have a toothbrush in each bag, too, but I forgot. Oh well, it was good. I'd like to do that theme again, if I can. This year, Gabi's theme is a Mad Hatter Tea Party. I wonder what kinds of things we'll come up with for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment